I had been longing for something new to hang above our television, below our shelf. The Ikea print we had there was nice– but it was the right size to hang above our old, smaller television, and the colors were wrong for the room.
I hadn’t liked it in that spot for quite a while. But suddenly, without logical explanation, I hated it there. It looked too wrong and it had to move… but only after I found something else to fill the space.
After perusing Pinterest for a shamefully long time, I decided I needed these cheeky DIY Scrabble tiles from blog insideways. There were a few problems, though, mainly caused by budget. While mine might not be spot-on replicas of original Scrabble tiles, I’m thrilled with the finished look. This project took only a few hours and about $40, including the two dozen Command strips.
What you’ll need…
- 6″ X 6″ wooden craft squares
- 4″ black alphabet stickers
- 1″ black numeral stickers
- Command Picture Hanging Strips
- Clear gloss topcoat (optional)
What you’ll do…
- Wipe any sawdust off the squares.
- Apply the letter sticker in the middle, followed by the corresponding number sticker in the lower right-hand corner. Press the stickers into place firmly.
- Optional. Apply a glossy or semi-glossy top coat to help keep the stickers in place. Let dry.
- Apply to walls using two-part strips, like Command’s Picture Hanging Strips, that allow you to move the tiles.
- Arrange, rearrange and enjoy!
This was the perfect craft for an easy-going weekend, and the perfect new piece of art to cheer up our living room! Who doesn’t love a little kitsch?
Love this! And, this is my kind of DIY…no tools required 🙂
Same! I love a good DIY… and I love not having to own power tools. Ha!